Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Self Reflection: Reconstruction Debate.

How did I feel during planning this presentation? Why did I feel this way?
 At first I felt confused when planning this presentation because I was asking questions and not getting answers. Though eventually I just chose what I would do and finished it with confidence. I even had my script memorized. The only problem would be that I thought that the debate was on Tuesday and I did not prepare my slides.
How did I feel prior to presenting? Why did I feel this way?
I felt stressed and nervous I had only just finished my slides and they were not what I was planning. I also was worried because I had my lines memorized but I have stage fright and was worried I would forget them.
How did I feel while I was presenting? Why did I feel this way?
As soon as I faced an audience I forgot all my lines and felt terrible. My group was doing so good and one quick glance an Jake and I could tell that his worst nightmare was coming true I felt that if I were to remember those lines I could save my rough start and therefore my group. That thought made even more stress on my shoulders and therefore increasing my stage fright.
What did I personally do well?
I knew the information for the questions after the presentations.
What did not go as desired in this presentation?
Almost everything in my section, my “lines” and some problems with the tech, and Jake being shaken did not do as well as he could.
On a scale from 1-10, how well do I think I understood the content? Explain.
          Overall I’d say about a 6, -4 for my section and +6 for everyone else’s.
How do I think my group members perceived me? Why do I think this?
I know what they perceived of me because I could hear them say that I was the one that ruined the presentation when I started these questions.
How do I think the 8th graders perceived me? Why do I think this?
I’m not sure what they thought of me but I could tell they thought that I did not know what I was talking about and that I did not do a good job.
Knowing that I can only control how I act and react, if I could do this presentation again, what would I change about my actions to make it a more ideal experience?
I would do what I could do I would make better slides and I would bring the printed script to school I would do anything that I could to repair the damage that I have done.
What are my strengths in groups?
I can memorize facts and put them in a way that each person can understand.
What areas do I need improvement?
My stage fright and keynote abilities.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, we all mess at one time or another. Sometimes stage fright just happens, I know what it is like to be in front of an audience and be nervous. It's great that you were prepared for the questions at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you're able to own up to your stage fright, because it really did hamper your performance (which is fine, because nobody's perfect and the only way to get back up and be better is to fall in the first place). But no need to fear! I'm into acting and public speaking, and I can really help you improve your skills with crowds. That's actually why I chose to mentor your group--specifically so I could help you with public speaking. I thought you knew your stuff, but it seemed like you were just drawing a nervous blank. But that can be fixed!
    It really disappoints me that your group members would say that you were the reason your group crashed and burned, especially when you were within earshot (especially knowing those kids). I know for a fact that the outcome of the project was not all your fault; the project was a group effort, and therefore the GROUP deserves the blame for the outcome. So don't beat yourself up; I'll ensure that you do better next time around.
    Also, it would help to confirm dates next time to be absolutely positive that you're completely done.
    Can't wait to start mentoring you!! :)Marissa

    ReplyDelete